In this article, I’ll write a thorough review of Zoo Med’s turtle tub kit. I’ll explain its features, dimensions, pros, cons and lastly my opinion on if you should buy it. So, if you are interested to know about it, read the whole article.
Why Should You Get a Turtle Tub?
Many people often wonder why to get a turtle tub when there are glass aquariums. Well, this is a decent question and I’ll explain it in details here.
Its right that glass aquariums are great for keeping turtles and viewing them. However, you know that turtles require a lot of space. A general rule of thumb is 1 turtle need 10 gallons of space for per one-inch shell length.
You can easily get a 20-gallon tank for your baby or hatchling turtle. however, like most other aquatic turtles, they’ll quickly grow more than 6-7 inches within a year or two. Then you’ll have to upgrade your tank and get a 70 or 80 gallon one. Moreover, if you wish to keep more than one turtle, then you need to add additional 10-20 gallon space.
As you can see, the cost keeps getting higher when you are getting a glass aquarium. If you have the budget, then it is perfectly fine to get a glass aquarium. However, most of the people can pay for this large glass aquariums. For them, a turtle tub is a suitable option.
Unlike glass aquariums, turtle tubs are made of heavy duty plastic, so they are cheaper yet much more durable than aquariums. A glass tank will cost almost double than an equal size turtle tub. So, if budget is a big issue for you, then you can definitely go for a turtle tub.
Turtle Tub Vs Turtle Tank:
- Turtle tubs are much cheaper than glass tanks as well as the construction is more durable.
- Unlike glass aquariums, you can’t enjoy a front view of your turtles in a turtle tub.
- Turtle tubs are usually made of heavy-duty plastic whereas aquariums are glass made.
- A good turtle tub will last longer than a glass aquarium.
Zoo Med Turtle Tub Kit:
Zoo Med’s Turtle tub is designed to replicate the natural pond environment where aquatic turtles generally live and breed. These type of environment helps to keep the turtles calm and healthy. The turtle tub kit has a built-in land area with a ramp. Your turtle can easily get on to the land area for basking. Also, the large land area encourages the turtle to lay eggs.
The turtle tub is lightweight and can be moved easily from place to place. it is also very easy to maintain and clean. It is completely manufactured in the USA with 100% recycled materials which are good for our environment too.
You can either buy only the turtle tub or the whole turtle tub kit. Of course, I’ll suggest getting the whole kit as you can get many more amazing items with it for your turtles.
- Made from 100% recycled materials which are safe for the environment.
- The tub is made of heavy duty plastic which is very durable yet lightweight.
- Manufactured right in the USA
- The tub is much cheaper compared to a similar size glass aquarium
- Very easy to setup and maintain. You can clean the tub very easily in a short time.
- 13-gallon water capacity which is sufficient for small to medium range turtles.
- A large land area which is great for basking as well as laying eggs.
- You can install a bulkhead drain easily to the tub in any position you prefer.
- You can either buy the tub separately or get the whole kit which offers many amazing items along with the tub.
What Zoo Med Turtle Tub Kit Includes?
- A lampstand specifically made for reptiles.
- One Heat bulb and Power Sun UV lamp
- Zoo Med’s famous Mini Deep Dome Lamp Fixture
- One canister filter for keeping the water clean
- Reptisafe for purifying the tub water
- Eco earth for setting up the land area
- Forest Floor Substrate
- Bush plants which enhance the natural environment inside the tub
- The dimension of the tub is 40 x 22 x 16.5 inches
- The tub weighs about 55 pounds
- Water capacity is about 13 gallons
Zoo Med Turtle Tub Setup:
- At first, place the tub in a suitable place inside your house. It is better to choose a place where the turtles will be less disturbed by people. You can also place the tub outside your house. However, it is not recommended if you live in a place where there is a large temperature swing in the winter.
- Now it’s time to prepare the landing area. Get your eco earth and forest floor substrate and wet them with some water. You can mix them both and put in the land area. It will create a nice natural basking place for the turtle. your turtle will also be able to burrow into the substrate and lay eggs.
- Now that you have prepared the land area, it is time to ready the lighting system. With the complete zoo med turtle tub kit, you’ll get a heat lamp, Power Sun UV lamp, and mini deep dome lamp fixture. Install both the lamp in the lamp fixture and attach it to the lampstand. Now, place the stand in such a way that the bulbs are directly above the basking place.
- Now it’s time to make the water area ready. The water area can hold 13 gallons of water. First, fill the water area with the required amount of water. You need to ensure the water is completely safe for your turtle before you place your turtles in the tub. Reptisafe will help you in this regard. Just follow the instructions on the label and make your tub water safe for the turtle.
- Now it’s time to set up the canister filter. With the complete Zoo Med turtle tub kit, you’ll get a canister filter completely free. It is very easy to install and takes only 5-10 minutes. Just follow the instructions and you’ll be good to go.
- Turtles need hiding places in their habitat. The bush plants will be perfect for this. Place the bush plants inside the turtle tub, wherever you want. Not only they will work as a hiding place, they will also enhance the natural environment inside the turtle tub.
- Everything is ready now. All you need to do now is get your turtle and place her in the tub!
Here is a resource from the Zoo Med to setup the turtle tub like professionals does!
What I love about Zoo Med Turtle Tub:
- I love the fact that, with Zoo Med turtle tub, you can make a premium quality turtle habitat without spending a fortune. Moreover, with the complete turtle tub kit, you’ll get almost 90% of the items that you need to setup the turtle habitat. This makes life a whole lot easier.
What I Don’t Like:
- I think the tubes are too thin for the tub. Zoo Med should work on these.
- Some customers complained about the quality of the pump.
Should You Invest In It?
I think Zoo Med turtle tub kit is a perfect solution for those who are on a tight budget. Turtle keeping costs money. Not all of us can spend a whole lot for our turtles. With Zoo Med turtle tub kit, you can keep your turtles happy spending the least amount of money.
Of course, the tub is not perfect, there are several factors that need to be developed. However, what Zoo Med turtle tub kit offers is much greater than these limitations. I think this is definitely an investment worthy product for those who are on a tight budget.
I admit Zoo Med Turtle tub kit is not a perfect tub. It has its limitations. However, it is still a great product for owners who are in a tight spot financially. If you ask me, I would definitely recommend you to give it a try and see for yourself. I am pretty confident that this tub will make your turtle happy.
Amazon has a great deal on Zoo Med Turtle Tub Kit. Click here to check out the latest price on Amazon.
Frequently Asked Questions from Customers
How do you drain water from the tub?
There are a few numbers of ways to drain water from the tub. However, personally, I think using a shop vac is the most economical way to it. In this way, the clean water quickly drains out leaving only the dirty water behind. So, you can later dump out all the dirty water.
How many gallons of water does the turtle tub hold?
According to Zoo Med, the water area of the turtle tub can hold 13 gallons of water easily. It is sufficient for most small to medium range aquatic turtles.
How do you keep a full-grown turtle from climbing out of the tub?
if your turtle constantly tries to get out of the tub, you can get a metal screen to secure the tub from outside. These metal screens cost next to nothing and ensure no escape of your turtle.
How to clean the tub?
Cleaning the tub is very easy and straightforward. You don’t need to clean the tub very often as the Zoo Med canister filter does most of the job for you. To clean the tub, first, you need to drain out all the water from the tub. Then, wash the tub with warm water without any soap. Refill the tub with clean water and make it safe using the Reptisafe.
Can you breed turtles in the tub?
The tub is not big enough for breeding. I don’t recommend using the tub for breeding purposes.
Can I get only the turtle tub?
Yes, you can get only the turtle tub separately. Click here to check out the current price.
How often should I clean the turtle?
if you have only one turtle, then it is sufficient to clean the filter only once a month. However, increase the frequency if you have more than one turtles.
Where does the carbon bag go in the filter chamber?
You should place the carbon bag below the ceramic media in the filter chamber.
How frequently should I change the carbon?
Changing the carbon once a month is enough.
When and how often should I change the ceramic media?
you should only change the ceramic media if it is blocking the water flow through the filter. You can rinse them thoroughly once a month.
How should I maintain the filter sponge?
you should clean the filter sponge with clean water only once a month. Change the sponge only when it starts to break down.
What does the ceramic media do?
The ceramic media is there for to grow beneficial bacteria colony. These bacteria are extremely important for balancing out the water parameter in the turtle tub.
This site is owned and operated by Muntaseer Rahman. Muntaseer is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, Tortoise Town, MyFahlo, Just Answer and few other sites. These affiliate advertising programs are designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to the specific sites. This site does not constitute pet medical advice, please consult a licensed veterinarian in your area for pet medical advice.
Have you ever caught your tortoise being vocal? Does that mean tortoises can make noises? Well, the generated sounds are nothing but the situation demands. Learning the noise and their explanations...
Snapping turtles are one of the largest freshwater turtle species in North America. They have a striking look and can bite quite hard. They can grow huge, from 8 to 30 inches! You probably have seen...