In this article, I am going to thoroughly review Zoo Med aquatic turtle UVB and Heat lighting kit. Lastly, I’ll explain my opinion if you should buy it or not. So, let’s get started.
What is Zoo Med UVB and Heat Lighting Kit?
Zoo Med actually released this product for increasing the convenience of turtle keepers and keeping the lighting organized. This is nothing but a lighting kit that comes with two fixtures: one for basking light and the other for heat light.
You’ll get two bulbs with the kit:
- Reptisun 5.0 UVB bulb (13 W). It is actually a compact version of a mini fluorescent lamp.
- A splash-proof halogen light (50 W) from the Turtle Tuff
The two fixtures will come inside a polished aluminum dome. The kit also offers a dual ceramic socket which can support lamps up to 100 watts in each of the sockets. Moreover, the depth of the dome extends more than the height of the lamp which prevents the lamp from sticking out of the dome.
- You’ll get a polished dome which will increase the light as well as UV output efficiency up to 30%
- Comes with two ceramic sockets. Both of them can run 100 watts of bulb each
- The deep dome has more height than the lamps. So, it prevents the lamps from sticking out.
- 1-year warranty
- You’ll get two bulbs with the kit: Reptisun 5.0 13W UVB bulb and a 50W splash-proof halogen bulb
- The dimension is: 9.4 x 12.4 x 3 inches
- Weighs about 1.6 pounds
- A convenient solution to turtle lighting
- Saves money as there is no need to buy lighting items individually
- Comes with everything that you’ll need for setting up the lighting system
- The polished dome increases the efficiency of the lights
- Comes with two lights: a basking light and a heat light
- Two sockets can run 100 watts of bulb each
- Easy to install
- Keeps the tank looking organized
- You may require an extension cord depending on how far the electric outlet is from the tank
- Manufacturers should include something like clamps or clips so that it can be easily installed on the tank
So, Should You Get It?
If I were you, I would absolutely invest in this lighting fixture. There are several things I absolutely love about this product. Firstly, I don’t need to go through the hassle of buying every lighting item individually and set them up. The kit will come with everything. That means I don’t have to deal with hundreds of wires and plugs. This is a big Yay Yay for me!
Also, comparing to the price, I think it is absolutely an awesome deal to have. You are getting a basking light, a heat light, a polished dome, two ceramic sockets all in a very convenient price range.
So, I definitely not see any reason to not try this out. I know there are some drawbacks, but none of them are any deal breakers. Also, as I have said earlier, it comes with 1-year sellers warranty. So, you can get this lighting kit without any worry!
Frequently Asked Questions:
Question: Can I use normal household lamps as a heat lamp?
Answer: Unfortunately, these normal lights are not waterproof or splash-proof. So, these will be not ideal at all for an aquatic turtle tank.
Question: Does the kit includes lights?
Answer: Yes, you’ll get two lights with the kit. One Reptisun 13W UVB light and another 50W Splash-proof halogen light for producing heat.
Question: Will I need a screen cover to set up the kit?
Answer: Yes, you’ll need to buy a screen cover separately.
Question: Is there any warranty with the kit?
Answer: Yes, you’ll get 1-year seller warranty with the kit.
Question: Where can I get it at a discounted price?
Answer: Amazon will be the only place I’ll recommend. Click here for details.
Yesterday one of my friends called early in the morning. He had an uninvited guest in his backyard, and he had no idea what to do. The unusual visitor was none other than the mighty snapping turtle,...
Female sea turtles come to the shore, dig a hole, lay their eggs, and leave. It takes 2 months for the eggs to hatch. The hatchlings then make their way up from the nests and run towards the water....